Requests and Updates for August 2018

What ancillaries or texts would you like to see in the near future?

If there is an ancillary that you need but this site does not provide, please let me know. I have a few weeks free in August and will try to fulfill any request before the school year begins.

Readers have recently recommended Herodotus’ Histories Bk 2, Euripides’ Bacchae, Plato’s Republic Bk 2, and Augustine’s Confessions Bk 1; and the beta editions for Ovid (Daedalus, Daphne) and Caesar (Helvetians) are surprisingly among the most popular downloads on this website. If there is a title that you would like to see in print, contact me.

While any comments made on the website will be published, any emails sent to my gmail account will remain private.

Xenophon’s Anabasis Books 1 and 4, originally posted as beta editions in Spring 2014, are now available in paperback. I have just posted translation sheets and revised vocab flashcards (Quizlet) for Anabasis 1.  Petronius’ Cena Trimalchionis has been available in paperback since June for 10.95 USD. Finally, Aristotle’s NE Books 2 and 3 has been posted on this website as an very early beta edition.

UPDATE: In response to several requests, I have completed and posted online here a very early beta edition of  Odyssey 17-20.

Posted in: Uncategorized

33 thoughts on “Requests and Updates for August 2018

1. The Didaskalon School says:

Thank you. Please more Plato’s Republic. If you need help doing these I can offer assistance. I have found many errors in the texts and have made notes of them. Some in the Symposium, The Republic Book I and the Odyssey texts. They are too numerous to write out here. Let me know.

Paul Antony

• geoffreysteadman says:

Great recommendations.

Another author is field-testing a Pharr edition of Plato’s Apology in a university classroom this fall for publication in early 2019. I will post an update when the commentary is available.

Ars Amatoria is a great pick. Have you considered Graves Thompson’s student edition of selections from Ars Amatoria and Remedia Amoris? The volume includes a fold-out core vocabulary, and all other vocabulary and notes are on the same page as the text. The commentary does not offer Book 1 in its entirety, but the it is certainly worth a look. The reviews on Amazon are positive and insightful.

Several readers have asked for more from the Iliad, so I will give you suggestion serious thought. Draper’s student commentary on Iliad 1 is still a very solid offering.

As for Livy, several people have contacted me and mentioned that they are working on Book 1. If they pass along any news of their progress, I will be sure to post it on the website.

Thank you.

2. TODD SHANDELMAN says:

And, Mr. Steadman, please record some audio, please!
    Audio of correctly pronounced Latin is very hard to come by!
    If you would need to charge money for such audio, I will gladly pay it, however much it is.

Thanks,
    Todd Shandelman
    Houston, Texas

• geoffreysteadman says:

Audio recordings are the most requested ancillary, and unfortunately I have no plans to offer any on the website any time soon.

I will, however, consider adding links to audio recordings from youtube and elsewhere. Thank you for the suggestion.

3. JJ Ladouceur says:

For my part, I’d say Book 1 of Augustine’s Confessions sounds most exciting!

I also like the idea of moving forward with Aristotle. I don’t think I’ve come across a single student edition of any of his works, which I find incredibly surprising.

• geoffreysteadman says:

I read a tweet from Bret Mulligan at Haverford College that Dickinson commentaries will be offering Confessions Book 1 soon. The more commentaries, the better for everyone.

Philosophy is one area where Pharr-formatted editions would be useful, I think. Aristotle, in particular, attracts a lot of readers who have very strong academic backgrounds in philosophy or theology but happen to pick up ancient Greek only later in their undergraduate or graduate years. Those readers are the target audience for this NE commentary, I suppose.

There are many easier books to read in Aristotle–the Politics certainly comes to mind–but personal interest led me to NE 2 and 3 this summer. I think that Aristotelianism would be far more attractive to a modern audience if we started discussions not with eudaimonia and teology in Book 1 but with habits and character-formation in Book 2.

I do not know whether the final draft of this commentary will prove successful. It’s a work in progress.

Thanks.

4. Adrian A. says:

Dear Mr. Steadman.
    Thank you for your work. I’m thinking that Confessiones would be a very good book to read. The late Latin and Christian Latin is a type which is not provide by the others authors. And is Augustinus. Livius, Caesar and the others we have a lot, in order to comprehend their language but Augustinus and Christian and late Latin not.

• geoffreysteadman says:

I will keep your recommendation in mind.

As I mentioned in response to another commenter, Dickinson commentaries appears to be publishing an new commentary of Augustine’s Confessions Book 1 soon. I do not know the format of the commentary, but it will certainly be worth a look.

Thanks again.

• geoffreysteadman says:

Thank you for the comment, and my apologies for not responding more quickly to your earlier note. I have received a lot of requests for Herodotus recently and will give your recommendation serious thought.

As I mentioned in reply to an earlier request, I was not satisfied with the draft of Book 7 in 2012 and have not returned to the author since then. Herodotus’ books just are so long and dense that it is hard to fit them into this format. Most of the commentaries in this series are half the length of the commentaries for Book 1 and 7 and include less Greek text on each page (1/3 of an OCT as opposed to 1/2 in Herodotus).

Nonetheless, I will keep this option in mind. Thanks.

5. Richard L. Lillis says:

A colleague and I were looking at the selections of Cicero’s De Officiis in the Wheelock reader. The Latin seems accessible for advanced high school readers, but hs students, we felt, would need better notes, and more help on grammar than the reader provides. Our puzzle: do we forge ahead with Wheelock and Work up our own notes? We’d be working with a book, whose readings are quite good, but whose commentary on grammar is not as helpful as we’d like.

• geoffreysteadman says:

If you wish to create your own notes for selections in Wheelock, I would encourage you to avoid consulting Wheelock’s grammatical explanations and vocabulary altogether and create your own commentary for those selections from scratch. This will allow you to avoid any hint of impropriety. Then, if you eventually decide to publish your commentary online or include it as part of a larger work in print, you can feel confident that the notes and vocabulary are just your own.

While I will consult out-of-copyright materials from books.google.com and archive.org (anything before 1923 is definitely out-of copyright), for example, I never consult a copyrighted edition when working on a commentary. It is simply too easy–even subconsciously–to appropriate someone else’s insights and include them in your own work without proper citation. It is just best to avoid any hint of impropriety.

That said, the fact that you are able to field-test the commentary with students and receive immediate feedback is a good sign that your work will turn out well.

6. Gigi. M. says:

My recommendations :
    Plato – Phaedrus, Theaetetus, Protagoras.
    Aristotle – Rhetoric, Poetics, De Anima.

Thank you for your work.

• geoffreysteadman says:

Those are great choices–titles that I myself would enjoy reading.

It took me three years to complete a first draft of Plato’s Symposium (2003-6), so there is more than 10 years worth of work in that list, I suspect.

Creating the Aristotle volume has convinced me to that it is time for me to give up being the primary author and collaborate with others who have far more insights to contribute (i.e. I supply formatted text and vocabulary, while others provide grammatical notes and commentary). Formatting the text and vocabulary is so time-consuming, that the grammatical notes never receive the attention that they deserve. If Pharr-style commentaries on Theaetetus and De Anima do appear, there will need to be collaborators with far more insight into those works than I have.

Thank you for the recommendations. I will keep them all in mind.

7. Jacobulus (Jim Bryan) says:

I would love to read St Patrick’s Confession, Letter to the soldiers of Coroticus. It’s an interesting time period in British and Irish history, and I don’t think there is much in the way of translation help.

8. Michelle Beylard-Ozéroff says:

Hi, Excuse my english : I am an old french teacher of latin and ancient greek languages and I appreciate what you do for these languages. I bought all your books. And I think that you may work on Xenophon’s Economics. I Discovered this charming little text when I was 19 years old in Aix-en-Provence University (I was student in licence) and I loved this text. Young french boys and girls love it too. May be you could work on it ?

Michelle Beylard-Ozéroff

Envoyé de mon iPad

Envoyé de mon iPad >

9. Sean says:

Dear Mr. Steadman,

Many thanks for all the texts you have produced so far. My suggestions for additional Greek texts would be Aeschylus Agamemnon and/or Euripides Bacchae. For Latin my suggestion would be the Pervigilium Veneris.

• geoffreysteadman says:

Professor Louise Pratt (Emory U.) is currently working on Aeschylus’ Agamemnon. Her intermediate level textbook on the Symposium and accompanying grammar are excellent, so I expect her work on Agamemnon will be very good as well.

The Bacchae is high on the list, so thank you for the suggestion. There is much to be said for offering two works from the same author so readers can comfortably move from one work to the next without much effort. The Bacchae would make a great complement to the Medea.

I must admit that I have never encountered Pervigilium Veneris before your comment, so I am grateful that you have brought this text to my attention. It is a beautiful poem–and short enough that it can be added to any volume of Latin poetry. Thanks.

10. J. Aultman-Moore says:

Some of the later books of Homer’s Odyssey would be good. Maybe Books 17-20 or 17-21, if possible. Those are some pretty exciting books! I would concur with the suggestion already made of doing Republic 2. Thank you for consulting us on what we’d like to see, Geoffrey! Your work is wonderful and much appreciated!

J. Aultman-Moore
    Waynesburg University

• geoffreysteadman says:

Thanks, Jay. I hope that you are well. I just posted a preview pdf for Odyssey 17-20. It would have been nice to have included the contest in Bk 21, but the commentary was becoming overly long.

I will keep Republic Bk 2 in mind.

11. Devyn Keller says:

Thanks so much for all your work! I teach in a high school, and I would love some material on “Pyramus and Thisbe,” Pliny letters (especially with Trajan), and more Caesar on the AP test would be great. Maybe some Catullus too. Thanks again!

12. Mark Rubin says:

A commentary on Bacchae would be great; any chance for one on Lysistrata too? At the top of this auto-didact’s wish list, however, is Thucydides Book I, along with a Thucydidean vocabulary organized by frequency as in Owen and Goodspeed’s Homeric Vocabularies. Thanks so much for your wonderful work!

13. Phil says:

Dr. Steadman,

Thank you so much for the invaluable work you do. I have taken advantage of several of your helpful commentaries, both in classes and in private. I would really like to see Augustine, but also some medieval Latin (Aquinas) and modern Latin (Descartes or Hobbes); Boethius would nice, as well.

For Greek, I would love to see either Lucian or Heliodorus! I have been having fun working through Petronius, and it would be nice to compare him to his Greek counterparts.

Thank you again for making your scholarship accessible to those who have not yet learned (or earned) much yet!

Best,

Phil
    California

• geoffreysteadman says:

Stephen Nimis and Edgar Evan Hayes together have written quite a few excellent Pharr-style commentaries on Lucian (and other authors) that are well worth your time. You can download the pdfs for free from their website (faenumpublishing.com) or purchase the same for under 15 dollars on Amazon. Please give Nimis and Hayes a look.
      Thank you for the other suggestions.