If you have a Latin or Greek text that you would like to see as a commentary on this website and in paperback, please add your suggestion to the comments to this post.

After a two-and-a-half-year hiatus, I am now starting up new projects.

Recent recommendations have included Tacitus’ Annales 1 or 14, Thucydides Book 6 (perhaps a two part commentary), Plato’s Timaeus (two parts?), and Eutropius’ later books (imperial period).

If you want your correspondence to remain private, please contact me via email (my full name (at)gmail.com) or add the word “private” to your comment to this post.

Thank you in advance for all suggestions.

Update (08Jun22): Thank you for your suggestions. The text and vocabulary frequency lists for Thucydides Book 6 have been formatted into a single 210 pp. commentary. The remainder of the project will stretch into the late fall. I plan to work on a second project this summer but have not yet settled on the Latin//Greek work. Other authors have made me aware that they are working on the Timaeus and Agamemnon. If I receive any updates, I will pass them along.

Posted in: Uncategorized

67 thoughts on “What Latin/Greek text would you like to see next as a Pharr-formatted commentary?

1. Alex says:

Tacitus, Thucydides, and Plato are all great! I would also be happy to see a commentary on one of Aeschylus’ plays!

2. Graham Asher says:

Philoctetes. I am translating it right now and finding it very hard going. It would benefit from your expertise.

3. geoffreysteadman says:

Noted. Yes, I was looking at Campbell’s 1861 Theaetetus commentary earlier today. The Theaetetus would likely be a two-parter (at least 240 pp. in a single commentary). I continue to keep your recommendation in mind. Thanks.

• geoffreysteadman says:

Thank you for the suggestion. James Clauss (U. of Washington) apparently teaches a course in the summer where students of Latin, Greek, and Hebrew read significant portions together in the same class but in their perspective languages (Greek students read the Septuagint, Latin the Vulgate, etc.). It is a very smart idea. I looked into it, and it is possible to have facing Latin and Greek for Genesis 1-25 (death of Abraham) is a single volume. I will continue to give it some thought. Thank you.

4. Telmo says:

It would be great to see both Seneca’s and Cicero’s philosophical works as a Pharr-formatted commentary.

5. Jacob says:

Two suggestions:

-How about finishing the draft of Anabasis 3 and publishing it in paperback?

-Or pick your favorite public domain introductory Greek reader and make a commentary on it so there’s a counterpart in that language at the level of the two “Fabulae” Latin texts.

• geoffreysteadman says:

Sorry about Anabasis Book 3. Sometimes life intervenes, and it takes a long time to return to a project. I will take a closer look. As for a Greek reader, I have spent a long time looking at Charles Moss’ First Greek Reader (published before 1900) and similar texts. I will revisit Moss as well. Thank you.

• geoffreysteadman says:

Thank you for the suggestion, but I have a feeling that there will be online commentaries of the Aeneid in the near future that will offer far more than a paperback Pharr edition can–and with greater expertise.

• geoffreysteadman says:

Yes, you are right! Sadly, I am still halfway through creating the vocabulary frequency list for the Frogs. It is such a fun read. I promise to work on the vocabulary and see what happens next. Thank you.

• geoffreysteadman says:

I know of several who are working on student commentaries for the Georgics and Eclogues. I will take a look at Ausonius. If I hear more about the Georgics/Eclogues, I will pass that along on this website too. Thank you.

• geoffreysteadman says:

Inez Scott’s Ryberg’s article Tacitus’ Art of Innuendo (APA, 1942) was the first article to make me fully appreciate historiography–and Annales Book 1. Thank you for the suggestion. I will keep both titles high on the list.

6. Peter Timmerman says:

For some of us, very Greek-challenged, almost anything is great. I remember sending you a note about the Phaedrus, and you pointed out that there was a recent commentary(which I have thanks to you), but some of us will take any additional aid, overlap is good. (I have three commentaries on The Apology, and all of great help as I was grinding through it, and yours was easily the most helpful). One of your repliers suggested something by Aeschylus, with which I agree, even if there are commentaries. Prometheus? Your work is so helpful that you can do something that others have already done, and it is still good (market….of course is another issue…..). Surely the Agammemnon would benefit from one more commentator (you). If not, then more Sophocles — or Euripedes (Hippolytus?). I would finally suggest finishing the Oedipus trilogy — Oedipus at Colonus would be terrific.

• geoffreysteadman says:

Your recommendations remind my of Christian Wildberg’s article, “Late Antiquity:Whether We Like It or Not,” (on his Academia.edu site) which does an excellent job setting out both the central role of Late Antiquity and its conspicuous absence in academia–and most Classical language programs, in particular. Unfortunately, I have very limited knowledge of Neoplatonism and would be learning alongside the readers. What I like about your suggestion is that the reading selections, if I understand them correctly, are very short–and that is the best way to introduce these authors to readers familiar with Classical Greek. Thank you. I have bookmarked the texts and will read through both carefully.

• Arkadi Choufrine says:

I’m glad to hear this! I had an honor of knowing Christian Wildberg through all his years at Princeton. He was on my dissertation committee (my thesis was on Clement of Alexandria); then we both participated for many years in the Classical Philosophy Reading group and in the varies events sponsored by the Hellenic Studies Program. I admire your work and use it for my online teaching at the Paideia Institute!

• geoffreysteadman says:

It is a very small world. Well, as I mentioned, I have very little experience of Late Antiquity (outside of reading Augustine) but I will give your suggestions a careful reading. Thank you so much for the encouragement.

7. Andrew Cox says:

Concur with suggestions above for Thucydides (though more interested in Books 1, 3, and 7 than Book 6), Georgics and Eclogues, Agamemnon, or any remaining Iliad and Odyssey books. Many thanks for making so much valuable material available already!

8. davidfdriscoll says:

I’d love anything Greek, but my personal wishlist in rough order of preference would be:
    * Theocritus
    * Plutarch (a Greek life or a Delphic dialogue)
    * Hesiod
    * Aristophanes (Frogs would be great)
    * I’d second the Agamemnon
    * more Euripides (especially the Hippolytus)

thanks again for all your work!

9. Dave Long says:

Homer’s Iliad, Book A. Would be a great companion to your Books 6 and 22.

Second choice: Hesiod’s Theogony, Works and Days would also be great, but may be too large a chunk.

10. Gordon Gallacher says:

I’d like to see one of your commentaries done on Thucydides – Book 1 maybe, or 2. The old “Macmillan Red” books by Marchant are useful but of limited help to today’s students. Another suggestion – Livy VI, though there is a ‘Green & Yellow’ on that.

11. syllabicinterlude says:

Would love to see some more Greek Tragedies – perhaps Aeschylus’ Prometheus Bound? Or Agamemnon? But any would be great! Also any Aristophanes! My first introduction to Greek was with the JACT series with lots of fun adapted Aristophanes and I’ve wanted to read the originals since then! 🙂

• syllabicinterlude says:

Also, if you’d be up for doing Oedipus at Colonus to complete the trilogy that would be brilliant!

• Sue Shapiro says:

I would love to see Plato’s Protagoras included in the series. It is a rich dialogue that is not taught as frequently as it should be. And thank you so much for all of the textbooks you have already written.

12. George Wendell says:

Dear Mr. Steadman,
    I would lead a class in Plato Phaedrus were a text like your available!,
    Or Ovid Heroides.
    Thank you very much for making excellent study guides available.

George Wendell

13. Dick lillis says:

Cicero’s De Officiis Bk I, where the student will see interesting moral reasoning and many interesting stories to illuminate the reasoning.

14. Eric says:

Hesiod’s Theogony

A book from St. Augustine’s City of God

A book from Cicero’s De Re Publica

Pliny’s letters on the eruption of Vesuvius

Book of Job- Greek Septuagint or Latin Vulgate

Thank you for all your contributions to the study of the Classics.

15. John Sewell King says:

Dear Mr. Steadman. many thanks for all your work to date. I would also like to see Thucydides ., especially since Thucydides is so difficult to read. John King

• Frank LaPorta says:

Plato’s Timaeus would be highly welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for the great work you do Dr. steadman for all would-be Hellenists and Latinists like myself. Greatly appreciated.

16. Mark Rubin says:

Thucydides!!! I’d say 1 or 2, but 6 (or any other book) would be awesome. Agamemnon, Trojan Women, Electra, Lysistrata, Timon, Enchiridion, Sappho, Anacreontea… Your commentaries have brought me so much pleasure, eagerly looking forward to the next one.

17. Dean Smith says:

if you are considering Latin the Annales would be very useful, or perhaps Juvenal.

For Greek, I would love to see Frogs, Philoctetes or a few more books of the Iliad. Oh, and Demosthenes. I don’t understand why Demosthenes doesn’t get more love on here. His Greek is beautiful.

• geoffreysteadman says:

Thank you for the suggestions. You are right about Demosthenes–To be honest, I have never read much Demostheses, which I suspect is one of the reasons that I have not approached him since. I will give him a closer look.

• geoffreysteadman says:

Nimis and Hayes have written many excellent Pharr-formatted commentaries on Lucian’s works. If you have not seen them before, I recommend that you look up Stephen Hayes and Evan Hayes and Lucian on Amazon.com. Thank you.

18. Luke says:

Any of the following would be great:

Plato:
    ~ Republic, Book 7
    ~ Phaedrus
    ~ Cratylus
    ~ Sophist
    ~ Theaetetus

Heraclitus!

Thank you for all your work – I love using your books!

19. Michael Mann says:

I would very much like to read Aeschylus’s, The Agamemnon-a wonderful, wonderful play! I have the Denniston and Page edition, well-commentated, but I appreciate the rapidity with which one can read any particular work using your excellent commentary. This is slightly tangential, but I would like to read more of Herodotus’s, The Histories, in Attic Greek- I have the 1963 Bristol Classical Press’s, Tales of Herodotus, a sign of laziness!, but I am a post-beginner enthusiast.

20. Derwood Staeben says:

Thank you for creating these. I really appreciate the ease of reading. Personally, I would love to have all of Homer in these editions. More realistically, I’d enjoy Tacitus or Thucydides. After them, Aristophanes. Thanks for asking. Best

21. Michail says:

I don’t think there is a need for new comments on Plato. This author has already received the most significant attention from you. I would agree with the proposal to make a commentary on Demosthenes, ancient Greek oratorical prose is wonderful.
    As for Latin Literature. Tacitus is a terribly boring author. Your comment won’t save him. Juvenal is an excellent idea.

22. Deidre says:

Thank you for your wide-ranging output so far. We are a group of senior citizens who enjoy reading all Greek and Latin writers, and your volumes are appreciated for the support they give us.

Thucydides, Aristophanes, Tacitus and Juvenal would be high on our list of suggestions.

23. David says:

Thank you for your work.

My Wish List:
    Plato Gorgias or Phaedrus
    Aristotle Physica I or De Anima I
    Euripides Bacchae
    Aeschylus Persae
    Aristophanes Birds
    Herodotus II
    Thucydides I
    Xenophon Oeconomicus or Hiero

24. Joel Foster says:

Thank you for making these works more accessible!

For Latin, Apuleius’s Metamorphoses would be thoroughly enjoyable. His idiosyncratic style, while entertaining, makes him challenging at times. Suetonius and Statius are two other Latin suggestions.

For Greek, authors outside the classical period of Greek literature would be welcome. Appian, Arrian, Plutarch, and Dio Cassius to name a few. The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius too.

Thank you!

25. Chris says:

I would love to see the following:

Juvenal’s Satires
    Seneca’s Tragedies
    Lucan’s Civil War

Many thanks

26. Bellerophon says:

You know what would be very, very fruitful for beginners to have? Your edition of the Euthyphro.

Euthyphro, I think, is the most accessible and the best dialogue for beginners of Ancient Greek to start reading Plato. It is short, funny, interesting, not too difficult philosophically, and does not give too much trouble to those wanting to read Plato in the original. Therefore, your help with the vocabulary and some (rarely occuring) troublesome syntax would make it ideal to start Plato. What say?

27. Jim Krueger says:

Cicero’s De Amicitia and Somnum Scipionis, please!!! I haven’t been pleased with the editions or excerpts that are out there–if anyone knows of something good, say so–and I would really love leading our advanced Latin students through these interesting and influential texts!