Selections from Ovid’s Metamorphoses
- Commentary: Ovid’s Daphne and Apollo (I.452-567) (beta ed. Aug 2017)
- Translation Sheets: Daphne & Apollo: pdf and doc formats (beta ed. Jul 2017)
- Commentary: Ovid’s Icarus and Daedalus (VIII.183-235) (beta ed., Aug 2017)
- Translation Sheets: Icarus & Daedalus: pdf and doc formats (beta ed. Aug 2017)
If you like these commentaries, see Caesar’s Helvetian Campaign on the Caesar webpage.
1. This pdf is a short 14-page commentary (7 x 10 inch) of Ovid’s Daphne and Apollo with 10 lines of Latin per page and all corresponding vocabulary and notes below the text. 26 high frequency core vocabulary words are listed in the first pages of the pdf but not included in the commentary itself . This is a beta edition and has not yet been properly proofread.
2. The translation sheets for Daphne and Apollo are in pdf and doc formats. The purpose of these sheets is to provide students an opportunity to write out translations, take organized notes, and practice scansion. The .doc format is included so that teachers may add images and other notes to embellish and add color to the students’ handouts. (There are many works of art inspired by this story from the Renaissance to the present that are worth adding.)
3. This pdf is a short 7-page commentary (7 x 10 inch) of Ovid’s Icarus and Daedalus with 8 lines of Latin per page and all corresponding vocabulary and notes below the text. This is a beta edition and has not yet been properly proofread.
4. The translation sheets for Icarus and Daedalus are in pdf and doc formats for the reasons mentioned in #2.
Nota bene: These commentaries include all of the vocabulary below the Latin text. In future revisions, high frequency core vocabulary words will be removed from the vocabulary lists so that more space can be devoted to fuller grammatical explanations and notes on rhetorical devices. If this appears in print, it will liked be a compilation of selections from different authors and not just Ovid.
If you find a mistake too important to let pass, please let me know, and I will correct it.